Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Herb Lentil & Rice

As a family we are trying to reduce the amount of meat we eat and increase the grains & seeds,  so here we go.

 Ingredients


    2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (I used 2 C water and a tsp of Kirkland Organic no salt seasoning)
      1/2 cup and 1 tbsp dry lentils  
    1/2 cup and 1 tbsp chopped onion  
    1/4 cup and 2 tbsp uncooked brown rice  
    3 tbsp dry white wine, or chicken broth (I used 1 TBSP white grape juice concentrate)
      1/2 tsp dried basil  
    1/8 tsp salt  
    1/4 tsp dried oregano  
    1/8 tsp dried thyme  
    1/8 tsp garlic powder  (I used chopped garlic)
    1/8 tsp pepper  
    3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, divided
    I also threw in 1/2C of Quinoa and added at least 1/2C of water to compensate for that.

Directions

In a bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients; stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray
Cover and bake at 350*F for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until lentils and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring twice.
Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

I added 1 can Petite Diced Tomatoes, my hubby said it was a bit too much, so I would go with half a can next time I like the flavor it added.  Also on the site I got this from someone suggested to do Mexican Seasonings, I think I will try that next time.


Number of Servings: 3

No comments: