Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Homade Canned Tomato Soup

I got this recipe from my neighbor and it is the best!

14 quarts peeled & cored sliced tomatoes
(If you have never canned tomatoes see below for instructions)
14 stacks celery
14 sprigs parsley
4 large onions
a few bay leaves
boil and strain. I osterize them in the blender--not bay leaves.
(I blended them in my blend tech so there was no reason to strain)
Boil again and add about 1/2c salt and sugar( to taste)
Cream 1 lb butter with 3 c flour.
( the 2nd time around I melted my butter and then added the flour and mixed it up well
that seemed to work , and was a little bit easier than the creaming we tried the first time)
Add to vegetables and thicken.
Make sure your bottles are Hot and sanitized,
boil the lids and rings.
Bottle hot. Wipe Rims. and hand tighten the rings.
Then water bathe the appropriate length of time for your jars.

For preparing tomatoes get a large pan of water to a rolling boil and drop in your tomatoes a batch at a time, when there skin splits pull them out into a bowl. It is best to wait for a little bit before cutting them as they are really HOT! After there skin has split the skin should just pull off the tomatoes, then you can cut them in half (which is what I do instead of slicing them) & core them. My advice learned from my mom... put a cookie sheet with sides under your cutting board to contain the tomato juices as you are peeling and cutting them. :)

2 comments:

Brittney said...

How often do you do canning? Regularly?

kstrack said...

Once a year when stuff is in season!