Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Carbonara

I just tried this recipe from a friend and it was delicious, as well as easy. My 4 year old and 2 year old even asked for seconds!

1 lb. pasta (bowtie or something fun)
1 lb. bacon
1 onion chopped
4-5 cloves pressed garlic
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 C. chicken stock/broth
2 egg yolks
1 C. parmesan cheese
1/2 C. cream, I used milk and thought it was fine
bunch of fresh parsley chopped
pepper to taste

The recipe doesn't call for it, but I think pieces of chicken or sliced mushrooms would also be great with this.

Get pasta boiling

Saute bacon, onion and garlic. Just before bacon is crispy, add red pepper flakes and cook until bacon is crisp.

Add chicken stock and simmer until it's reduced by half.

Beat yolks, 2/3 parmesan cheese, cream, parsley, and pepper together. Slowly add a ladel-full of pasta water to it.

Add cream mixture to bacon mixture and heat through. Let simmer a couple minutes until it thickens. Add to pasta and enjoy!

2 comments:

kstrack said...

One thought on this one is to cut the bacon strips into squares before cooking them, I think I would make it easier to eat. But it was really good! My kids were shy about trying it because it was green, but I really liked it!

Anonymous said...

Awesome recipe. It's nice to have carbonara not come out like glue.

And I agree on cutting up the bacon, which I did. Was that just missing from the recipe?