Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Mac 'n' Cheese From the Deceptively Delicious Cookbook

1 1/2 C Elbow Macaroni
cooking spray
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 TBSP Flour
1/2 C Milk
1/2 C Butternut Squash &/or Cauliflower
1 1/2 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese (8oz)
4 oz Cream Cheese
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Paprika
1/8 tsp Pepper

Bring Salted water to a boil. Cook macaroni & drain. While Macaroni is cooking coat sauce pan with oil & heat over medium heat. Add the oil, then flour, and cook stirring constantly until it makes a thick paste but not burned. Add milk & cook, stirring every now and then, until the mixture begins to thicken 3 to 4 min. Add Vegetable Puree, Cheddar, Cream Cheese, & Seasonings and stir until melted and sauce is smooth. Stir in Macaroni.

I used just Cauliflower, but think I might try a mixture of the 2. Also I think it tastes better reheated, or just cooled and reheated. I have considered making it and then putting it in a casserole dish and baking it after it has cooled. I will let you know how it works out. Oh and I like it better with Hot Dogs, for me it needed some meat.

No comments: