Tuesday, June 17, 2008

All-Purpose dough

I took a basic white dough recipe that I liked, tweaked it just a bit according to what I've learned about bread making and used it in a number of recipes. It works well as bread, rolls, scones, cinnamon rolls, and bread sticks.

1/2 cup luke warm water
1 1/2 T yeast
1 tsp sugar
2 C. hot water
6-7 C. flour
1/4 C. butter, melted
1/4 C. honey
1 1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the yeast and sugar into the warm water, set aside. In mixer, mix hot water and 3 C flour. Add butter, honey, and salt. Mix well. Add remaining flour, just until dough starts to clean the side of the bowl. Let rise until double. Mix and form.

For bread sticks, roll into rectangle the size of the pan you are using (I usually do 11x7 or 9x9). Pour about 2 T. melted butter in the bottom of the pan, to coat. Slice the dough with a pizza cutter and place in the pan, right next to each other. Top with another 2T melted butter and whatever flavor you want. I like to use garlic salt, Parmesan cheese, or cinnamon sugar. Let rise until double in size. Bake at 350 for 20ish minutes.

For bread, form into loaf and let rise until double in size. Bake at 400 for 20-30 minutes, until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped.

For cinnamon rolls, roll dough into rectangle. Butter the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar (raisins and nuts, opt). Roll up from the long side and pinch together. Cut into 2" rolls and place on greased cookie sheet, or make a caramel sauce with butter and brown sugar and place in cake pan with rolls on top. Let raise until double in size. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

April said...

I can't wait to try this!! Thanks for posting this. And thanks for inviting me to your blog. I will comment back if I can't get it right.
I saw that the recipe calls for 6-7 cups flour. I am not a great cook so I may be requesting an exact amount from you. We'll see how it works!