Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cinnamon Rolls

I always get rave reviews on this one, so I thought I'd share it. The dough also makes awesome dinner rolls, but I figure as long as you've gone to the work of making it, you may as well make a dessert out of it!

1 T. yeast
1 1/2 C. warm water
2/3 C. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 C. shortening
2 eggs
1 C. warm mashed potatoes (I prepare a cup of instant potatoes and use that)
7-7 1/2 C. flour

3/4 C. margarine (at room temp.)
cinnamon
brown sugar
pecans (optional)
1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
4 oz. cream cheese (at room temp.)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in the warm water. Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, potatoes, and 4 C. of flour. Mix until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead for about 5 minutes in an electric mixer. Place in greased bowl, turn to coat dough lightly in oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise.

When dough is double in size (1-2 hours), punch down and roll out to about size of large cookie sheet. Melt 1/4 C. margarine and brush onto dough. Sprinkle with cinnamon, brown sugar and pecans. As far as amounts go, I don't measure so I have no idea. Put it on thick though, then add a little more.

Roll up and slice into 1-2" thick rolls. Place on greased cookie sheet and let rise until edges of rolls are all pressing up against each other. (This usually makes about 18 rolls for me)

Bake at 400 for 15-25 minutes.

After rolls get out, mix 1/2 C. margarine, powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla and 1/2 tsp. salt until smooth. Spread on warm (not hot) cinnamon rolls.

1 comment:

kstrack said...

sounds delish! I will have to try it, maybe after school starts again... hehe there are too many helping hand at my house currently!